Monday, October 22, 2012

Cut Paper Composition


I had chosen the "balance" category for my paper composition. However, when I had started this project, I did not expect to create my composition in terms of "balance". I had begun with the two big white sections in the corners of my composition. I truly enjoyed the symmetrical balance between the two white sections; however, at that point, I still needed to fill in the massive black space in between the two white spaces. As advised, I created two strips of paper that outlined the wavy figure/outline of the white pieces of paper in the corners of my composition. Those two strips of paper definitely helped me narrow down the space left in between the two spaces of white paper. However, in my pile of random cut-out figures, I had a figure that almost resembled a leaf. I wanted the style of the leaf to correspond with the style of the two pieces of paper. I had previously created a contrast between the "black positive space" as well as the "white positive space" within the white blocks of paper. As a matter of fact, I had also included a contrasts between positive and negative space in between the wave-like strip of paper and the white paper block in the corner of my composition. Similarly, I had cut out part of the middle of the leaf-like figure to show the contrast between positive and negative space. In addition, I wanted to make the center of the composition slightly more intriguing because the corners of my composition were already so symmetrical. I decided to show how the balance of a certain leaf's curvature was affected by the following leaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment