Friday, March 15, 2013

Still Life Value Digital Photographs




Reflection:

Which photograph is the most evocative? Define evocative. Refer directly to the formal elements of the image & the relationship between object and nature. 
Evocative is often defined as suggesting or invoking a certain emotion or even a memory as an image. In my opinion, the third photograph is the most evocative. In this image, there is a clear relationship between the object and nature. Nature is represented by the rough, rigid turns of an old tree bark, whereas, the complete object isn't shown, but there is a part of the object that is shown in the photograph. I think that the main relationship between the metal canister and nature in this photograph is the sense that the object is slightly hovering the natural bark, which also creates a darker value in the part of the bark below the object.

Which photograph allows for the full value scale?
The second photograph allows for the full value scale because there are a variety of grays and the lighter white is represented by the reflective surface of the canister. 

Given these images and insights, what exactly will you be looking to capture in your black & white images?
I think that I could have tried to find a photograph that had captured the value scale better. I think that after experimenting with the digital photography, I realized that on the day when there was sunlight, it made my photograph more intriguing because I would be able to play with using the sunlight to evoke a certain aspect of my object in nature. I am definitely planning on capturing a wide value scale through using sunlight more creatively.

No comments:

Post a Comment